Since according to Hale's the amount of hormones getting to the baby via
birth control pills is small, and the proportion of breastmilk in the entire daily
intake of a child 3 1/2 is not high, my guess would be that her milk supply is
virtually "gone", and her child is taking this as a form of mother-led or forced
weaning. Without warning, the milkies are gone! Having nursed two until the
ages of 6 and 4 (3 years tandem), I know well the consequences of what can
happen when a child this age is not ready to wean. It ain' pretty!