Oliver Solanet writes:

>I think the man was a b**tard, and his music inevitably comes out
>sounding that way.

You are doubtless going to get roasted for saying that, but I think it's
a good insight.  Beethoven might be described as the Patron Saint of
Mid-Life Crisis.

The irony is, that the "cussed", cantankerous, arrogant, bad-tempered
and self-absorbed qualities resonate with many of us, and the way he
transcends these negative moods is often inspiring.  Beethoven is good
*because* he's a b**tard -- like nearly all the rest of us!

Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK
http://www.zarzuela.net
"ZARZUELA!" The Spanish Music Site