We do everything we can to support breastfeeding in our NICU, including
early Kangaroo care, dry breastfeeding, early true breastfeeding, lactation
consultants to help mothers establish and maintain a good milk supply to make
transition to the breast more likely, etc.  Still, almost no preterm infant  is
fully breastfeeding at discharge.  In the USA, no insurance company  is going to
wait for an infant to be fully breastfeeding before discharge.   In addition,
most USA mothers do not spend all day, every day with their infants  - much
as we wish they would.  It is very frustrating for me and the LCs  and the
nurses, but until we change the very basic social status of mothers in  the USA,
nothing will change.

Nancy
Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM,  FAAP