Lactnetters,

I am completing my degree in Maternal Child Health: Lactation Consulting and
part of my Capstone Learning Experience is a project.  As a US Navy veteran
who breastfed while on active duty for over a year and the wife of an active
duty member of the US Navy, and a LLL Leader in a heavily populated military
town I naturally have chosen to relate my project to breastfeeding in the
military!  I think this is an important area to look at for breastfeeding
initiation and duration, and as a preventative health measure-there are many
women of childbearing age in the military, we need to get a hold of them and
support and encourage them to breastfeed if at all possible ( I realize
there are definitely times/places in the military where they cant...)

In a nutshell I am working on producing a handbook for active duty military
mothers who are thinking about or have chosen to breastfeed their babies
upon their return from maternity leave.  I have completed the research phase
of my project and am in the thick of putting the handbook together.  What I
am asking from those of you on Lactnet, especially any of you who work in
military hospitals or with active duty moms, is for ideas of what you'd like
to see in handbook such as this.  What do the moms you see ask about the
most, what are their concerns about combining active duty and breastfeeding.
What should I make sure I include, tips, techniques, thoughts, etc!  What is
important to have in this handbook?

If I use anything as a direct quote I will of course contact you personally
and ask for permission to quote you.  I hope to publish this handbook and
get it into military clinics and hospitals if at all possible (still working
on that angle!).

I appreciate any ideas, you may respond on or off list.

Sweet Nursings,

Robyn Roche-Paull
CLE, CLC, MCH student
LLLLeader~Virginia Beach, VA