To all:

Some biologists brought in an iron farm (?) implement to our Archaeology Unit for identification.  The item measures approximately 16 inches from tip to tip and 4 inches at its
widest.  It consists of a hook encircled by four "arms," which slide up and down the shaft of the hook and independent of one another.  Three of the "arms" are labeled with a number (2, 4, and 8).  The one arm whose label has rusted off is evidently "6."  The "2" arm is the largest of the group whereas the "8" arm is the smallest.  Since it was not collected by an
archaeologist, the context information amounts to an old farm, early to mid-twentieth century, in Alleghany County, North Carolina (the Appalachian Region).  I guess this piece was this week's "whatizzit" for the week.  It has been suggested that the piece was involved in weighing cotton bales.  Photos of the item are available upon request.  Any help on its identification would be appreciated.  Please respon

Paul J. Mohler
Archaeologist
North Carolina Dept. of Transportation

See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!