I just wanted to reiterate what Jena said about the importance of
breastfeeding these babes with sensory issues and/or autism.  My son also
has Asperger's (and a host of other issues including bipolar disorder).  He
is 12-1/2 and was diagnosed with AS at age 8 years after 4 years of
miscellaneous diagnoses.

He was nursed for 19 months and worn in a sling until I was too pregnant
with my daughter to manage it.  I stayed home with him, not really out of
choice but because we were on short military orders and it wasn't practical
to go back to work.  I firmly believe that if I had not nursed this child,
worn him on my body and followed my gut in how to parent him he would either
be dead or committed.  Breastfeeding saved his life (from a mental health
perspective rather than a physical health one, although he was not a
physically healthy child either!).

He has struggled all his short life, through 2 acute psychiatric
hospitalizations and 3 months in residential care.  Through attachment
parenting he has blossomed.  I am excited to say that he has been accepted
at a wonderful boarding school in Pennsylvania for his 7th grade year.  Yes,
the baby/toddler/child that I never let out of my sight!  This is not a
"special needs" school but one that sees the wonderful boy inside the
autistic child and is willing to work with him.  He needs this school so
much!

He would not be at this exciting point if I had not nursed him.  As Jena
said...it is so worth it.

Kathy, grateful to LLL who told me it was okay to do all those crazy things
like use a sling,, co-sleep, etc.
MEd (in special education, thanks to my boy!) and IBCLC (also thanks to
Andrew)