Maybe the "rings" are part of the machine process designed to keep sheet
metal aligned in the rolling machine.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Thomas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 3:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Can question

The kind of can you seem to be describing are known as the modern roll form
cans, which replaced the earlier smoothed sided sanitary cans.  According to
Jim Rock's 1998 can guide, the roll form can was "perfected" by American
engineers in the early 1920s, changing the the American canning industry,
since it was now possible to produce cans at a much greater speed and
efficiency.  Presumably, the rings result from or facilitate the rolling
process in their manufacturing.

>From: Kris Farmen
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Can question
>Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:09:20 -0800
>

>HISTARCH...
>
>I'm presently dealing with a mid-20th century can scatter, and I was
>wondering, does anybody know the technical term for the indented rings
>that run around the body of the can, paralell to the top and bottom? One
>usually sees them in cans from the late 1950s onward... and does anybody
>out there know what their function is?
>
>On a more humorous note, one of these cans is a Nalley Imitation Maple
>Syrup can, circa 1950s. The lithography is still present, and on one
>side of the rectangular can, there's an essay on the "craftsmanship" that
>goes into the production of Nalley's imitation maple syrup. Ahhhhh,
>postwar American advertsing kitch at its best...
>

>Kris Farmen
>Northern Land Use Research, Inc.
>Fairbanks, Alaska

  _____