I just can't hold my tongue any longer on this 55-gallon drum thing (it's getting sore and I can't drink my coffee).

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned context.  If the drums have an association with a site and the site is interesting, then record it as part of the site and work the details on "eligibility" out later.  Eligibility is a determination, not a knee jerk reaction.  We can still record sites without putting them on the National Register.  How many of us in CRM have the skills required to assess every site we find in the field just by walking around pontificating?  I rely on contractors, university archaeologists, underwater and shipwreck experts, historians, etc.  These folks are very willing to give you their opinion, sometimes without even having been asked.  Probably the most important pieces of advise I would give to a new public service archaeologist have to do with decision making, and one of those nuggets of insight would be "don't make decisions in a vacuum, get other opinions."     

If no one knows where the drums came from, when they got there, what was in each one, who put them there, or why, then you are going to have to make an argument for them being important in their own right, like "the design of these drums is totally unique and has never been documented."

Richard "now my coffee is cold" Kimmel

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 8:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 55 gallon drums et al.

Wow, I've never in my life been called an elitist!  Quite the opposite in fact. Those that know me know that there is little that does not interest me.  As for being a snob of the early human world, 20th century material culture (besides Federal) is one of my loves, and my wife and I have a spent a considerable part of our income acquiring books and studies on innumerable facets of modern life.

My primary point, and to respond to Bob's comment that the public does not know what CRM is, is that the public does know about $$$$ and if they found out what CRM was doing with it they would have a coniption fit beyond comprehension and ALL OF US would be sunk.

106 is about determining significance, not reporting as if everything over 50 years is significant.  CRM folks should know best of all how to most effectively and efficiently use their resources, financial and otherwise.  If we cut off our head in the process, is that worth it?

Dan W.

At 10/17/02 07:35 PM, you wrote:
hoo raa!
always been part of the challenge of working in Alaska has been elitist attitudes. Partly because the historic "stuff" is only a 200 years old - at best. Mostly WWII.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 3:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 55 gallon drums et al.

This diatribe against research on 20th century archaeology is an eletist challenge that will certainly sour relations among practitioners. I feel this to be an unhealthy thread that most certainly will lead to hurt feelings. Thesis and dissertation research develop raw data into bodies of knowledge, regardless of the century of creation. I feel too much emphasis is placed on the archaeology of the wealthy in this discussion and not on the other class and ethnic strata that were engaged in the great themes of American history. In parts of America where European Americans arrived in the 19th century or developed industries in the 20th century, comparison with 17th and 18th century colonial sites and plantations is not appropriate. I recommend we work towad open mindedness and see what our new practitioners can develop.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.