Jan Templiner responds to Laurence Sherwood:

>>The New York Times has an article entitled "Mahler and the Lessor Known
>>Stars in His Universe" that is pertinent to this thread.  It discussers
>>Joachim Raff, Robert Fuchs, Hans Rott, and Franz Schmidt, along with
>>Zemlinsky, Volkmann, Bruch, and Richard Strauss.  ...
>
>I may have misunderstood something here, but listing Richard Strauss among
>the "underperformed" composers.. I'm not sure whether that's reasonable.

The article is really about "second-string symphonists" who couldn't get
out from under the shadow of Brahms, Bruckner, and Mahler.  I actually
thought including Raff was stretching it, chronologically speaking.  At
any rate, Strauss, whatever his considerable virtues, isn't really known
for his symphonies, any more than Wagner is.

Steve Schwartz