Thanx, Mitch. I kinda figured there were. I just like pointing out opportunities for sarcasm. At times, I even like to take advantage of them. Just ask my boss.
Margan
(good federal employee AND a woman who hates to shop)
;)
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 9:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SWA's " Got CALICHE ? " Newsletter, Wednesday May 29, 2002

There are actually plenty of studies like that. Try the one on women car salespeople-- Ladies on the Lot, by Helene Lawson (Rowman & Littlefield, 2000). There are many more...pilots, soldiers, pastors, surgeons, undertakers. Even a couple on women archaeologists!  I can give you  more detailed references if you'd like.
mitch allen

"Grover, Margan A POA02" wrote:

what would be most shocking is for anyone to study women doing jobs not typically female. we all know that women spend a great deal of effort shopping and that the mall is their main social stage. I'm ashamed. Perpetuating the myth. NOT anthropological.Margan Grover(a woman who hates to shop)
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 3:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SWA's " Got CALICHE ? " Newsletter, Wednesday May 29, 2002

I guess it is a bit hard to see the tongue in cheek in an email, but I was rather intruiged why Anita should consider that studying a group of five women for one day as they took part in a daily activity should be thought of as sociology rather than anthropology. My dictionary describes anthropology as "the study of man, his origins, physical characteristics, institutions, religious beliefs, social relationships etc." This would appear to cover the study under question.  If an anthropologist spent a day studying a group of women from some obscure tribal group in the jungles of South America or Darkest Africa going about their daily activity, would we consider this as sociology?Are we of the modern western world perhaps uncomfortable with the idea of being studied in a way and by a discipline that in the past has been devoted to the study of "primitive" and exotic cultures?

--
Mitch Allen
AltaMira Press
A Division of Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
1630 North Main Street #367
Walnut Creek, California 94596
925.938.7243  fax: 925.933.9720
[log in to unmask]
www.altamirapress.com