Sorry for cross-posting.

From: Brooks, Allyson (OCD) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 9:55 AM

Subject: Archaeological legislation -SHB 1189

It is with great pleasure I am able to inform you that Substitute

House Bill1189 has passed the legislature with a vote of 87-9 in the House and

40-8 in the Senate. The Governor should sign the bill in the next 20 days.

This bill gives OAHP the authority to issue civil penalties when a person has knowingly and willfully failed to get a permit, or knowing or willfully failed to comply with the provisions of a permit. It gives OAHP the authority to deny a permit based on previous violations of state or federal law. OAHP can require a party to pay for reasonable investigative costs and reasonable site restoration costs. There is also a provision for a person incurring a penalty to ask for an adjudicated proceeding and subsequent review. State agencies are now required to file reports with OAHP and all reports are declared confidential.

This legislation will require rule making which will occur this summer.

Rule making allows for both public comment and requires a public hearing.

There are many people that helped get this legislation passed and they certainly deserve recognition: Rep. Pat Lantz from Gig Harbor, Senator Georgia Gardner, Senator Harriet Spanel, Bruce Beckett from Weyerhaeuser, Kristin Harte Sawin from the Association of Washington Business, Jack Williams from the Governor's Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, Mary Thompson from the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation, Michael Sullivan from Artifacts Consulting, David Powell (archaeologist) from the Yakama Nation, the members of the Heritage Caucus, Kimberly Craven from the Governor's Office of Indian Affairs, and Steve Robinson from the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission. I would also like to thank Al Scott Jonnie and Louie Wynne for testifying on behalf of the bill last year. Finally, I also would like to note that Scott Merriman, our legislative liaison, worked exceptionally hard to get this bill passed.

It is tragic that it took the events in Blaine to inspire a change in the law. But perhaps now we will have the tools to better protect our heritage.

Thanks to all of you for your work and continued support of historic preservation.

Allyson Brooks, Ph.D

State Historic Preservation Officer

Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation

Ph: 360-586-3066

Fax 360-586-3067

www.oahp.wa.gov

Catherine E. Dickson
Cultural Resources Protection Program
Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation
PO Box 638
Pendleton, OR 97801
(541) 276-3629