From: "Mading, Winifred" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Testing breastmilk
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:01:37 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B8B7.12DF13E0

Hoping I can "picking your brains".  I know Paula Meier has done a lot with
testing the crematocrit of breastmilk.  Is there a feasible way to test for
protein or other nutrients?  I know it will depend on time of pumping,
relation to last feeding, etc.
We have a very IUGR (just over 4# at 41 weeks) baby whose mom has a long
history of anorexia and bulimia, especially bulimia.  Mom is in strong
denial that her eating could have contributed to baby's low weight-she
blames it all on mec aspiration.
NICU is questioning whether her milk will be "adequate".  The social worker
(a strong breastfeeding advocate and nursing mother herself) feels that
nursing and pumping may be another way for the mom to "purge".  They are
currently saying that mom must alternate breast and bottle.  I suggested
that fortifying might be a way to use what she's pumping (a fair amount).

Have any of you experienced any problems with milk quality in cases of
anorexia or bulimia?  Is there any reliable, feasible way to check her milk
for nutrients that doesn't cost a big chunk of the national budget?

Thanks for any insight you can give us.
Winnie Mading RNC, IBCLC

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B8B7.12DF13E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Testing breastmilk</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hoping I can &quot;picking your =
brains&quot;.&nbsp; I know Paula Meier has done a lot with testing the =
crematocrit of breastmilk.&nbsp; Is there a feasible way to test for =
protein or other nutrients?&nbsp; I know it will depend on time of =
pumping, relation to last feeding, etc.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We have a very IUGR (just over 4# at =
41 weeks) baby whose mom has a long history of anorexia and bulimia, =
especially bulimia.&nbsp; Mom is in strong denial that her eating could =
have contributed to baby's low weight-she blames it all on mec =
aspiration.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">NICU is questioning whether her milk =
will be &quot;adequate&quot;.&nbsp; The social worker (a strong =
breastfeeding advocate and nursing mother herself) feels that nursing =
and pumping may be another way for the mom to &quot;purge&quot;.&nbsp; =
They are currently saying that mom must alternate breast and =
bottle.&nbsp; I suggested that fortifying might be a way to use what =
she's pumping (a fair amount).&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Have any of you experienced any =
problems with milk quality in cases of anorexia or bulimia?&nbsp; Is =
there any reliable, feasible way to check her milk for nutrients that =
doesn't cost a big chunk of the national budget?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks for any insight you can give =
us.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Winnie Mading RNC, IBCLC</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B8B7.12DF13E0--