The practice of placing shoes under the floor or within the wall of a house was apparently common in French Nova Scotia.  I recall this from the CNEHA conference held at the Fortress of Louisbourg in 1995.  While touring one of the oldest homes on the island, we were shown a very well-preserved shoe recovered from within the wall or floor and told this was a custom designed to bring good luck.  You may want to contact someone up at Parks Canada in Nova Scotia and ask about the practice.  Good Luck

Randy Lichtenberger

Jefferson's Poplar Forest