Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Gerald F Pillay ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>The nearest I have got is the String Quartet Op 3 No2, the second movement
>>of which has the famous petite Serenade one finds in the piano books.
>
>Which IIRC is not by Haydn at all but by Roman Hofstetter.

My old copy of the Guiness Book of Records lists the Serenade as the String
Quartet Op 3 No 5 in F and confirms that Hofstetter may have written the Op
3 set.  Thumbing further through the book I found that Haydn in 1794 wrote
an opera called Windsor Castle.  May be the Serenade was part of that.
Incidentally I live about 5 miles from Windsor Castle so this thread is
of more than passing interest.

Tim Horwood