I agree totally with Jan! Baby needs something. Ideally some expressed breastmilk in a cup or spoon, little bits at a time. It was in Jan and Carole's cram course that I learned the concept of volume confusion with bottles of  formula in the early days and like the idea of small amounts of colostrum in the spoon frequently.  Maybe hand massage and expression would be the ticket to obtain colostrum, enough for a spoonful.

This is not the voice of someone who works in the hospital but heard Joy Anderson once sing the praises of hand expression and lots of massage to express colostrum.

Cindy Church, RNC, IBCLC *********************************************** The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM) mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to: http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html