Linda .... Regarding your query on Pennyroyal ...

My research tells me in NO way should it be used!!!  I quote "(1.) Safety
Data: Oral toxin. Abortifacient (due to pulegone content). Ingestion of
large doses has resulted in death." " (2.)Should not be used in aromatherapy
whether internally or externally."!!!!

My suggestion as a safer bet would be lavender ((3.)"Safety Data: Non-toxic,
non-irritant, non-sensitizing")  Lavender can be applied neat (undiluted) to
most skin.  It is an insecticide.  Also commonly used is citronella
((4.)"Safety Data: Non-toxin, non-irritant; may cause dermatitis in some
individuals.  Avoid during pregnancy") Due to it being non-toxic it would be
safer.  To avoid contact of the oil on the skin, even though it should
ALWAYS be applied diluted in a base/carrier oil, it can be applied by
placing a drop or two on a hankerchief and tying the hankerchief near/on the
child/mother's clothing.

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless
Element Books, Rockport,Ma.  1995 (1.& 2.) pg.176 (3.) pg.162 (4.)134

Hope this helps!!

Sincerely, Jodi Barnard
Ladner, British Columbia