Having talked to many many mothers (hundreds, probably close to one
thousand) over the years who have nursed children past the age of 3 years, I
have encountered 3 mothers who I thought were "weird" and had unhealthy
relationships with their children, of which the breastfeeding may have been
a part.

Some mothers who bottle-feed have unhealthy relationships with their
children.

Some mothers who breastfeed for a short time have unhealthy relationships
with their children.

Some mothers who breastfeed for a long time have unhealthy relationships
with their children.

The goal is not to insist that all mothers nursing older children have
normal, healthy relationships with their mothers.  The goal is to move from
an assumption of perversity to an assumption of normalcy for mothers nursing
older children.  Innocent until proven guilty.

If people are interested, I will post synopses of the three weird cases and
you can judge for yourselves.

Kathy Dettwyler