In a message dated 2/12/01 10:10:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< The reason I am writing (sorry it's been this long), is to ask for
 people's experiences with regards to the decrease in the baby's ability to
 drain the breast adequately and what other suggestions might be helpful
 here.>>

Alicia,

The mom I recently worked with who had severe upper quadrant plugs (never
developed mastitis) over a period of about a month off and on found that
using cold to her breast in between feeds for ten min out of the hour was
very helpful.  I reasoned that the ducts were inflamed, possibly edematous
tissue around them and the icing (cold packs) brought relief and enabled
drainage following heat (the "bucket" method of warm water in a bowl and
leaning over with breast in bowl and gentle massage) and breastfeed.  She
also had a milk blister which needed opening to drain those ducts.  This
approach of cold alternating with heat has proven helpful with other moms
with plugs and mastitis as well.

<<At this point, she said that pumping really didn't work on that breast (she
had been able to get only 1 ml out of the affected breast compared with
3ml from the other side -- the affected breast had previously been the
high producing breast). >>

Above mentioned mom and every other one I've worked with mastitis/plugs had
much less milk when trying to BF or pump-thus baby's fussines at the breast.
Once plugs resolved there was a noticeable difference with baby's
satisfaction at breast.  (Do you mean oz above rather than ml? )

<<Of interest, the milk coming out of that breast was very thick and creamy
in appearance, very different from the other side.>>
 Because that milk is not being replenished due to breast getting signal of
this duct is full-when it's really edematous due to inflammation?

Sounds also like this mom is overdoing, perhaps not breastfeeding often
enough due to separations and the intro of bottles may have had an effect on
baby's desire for faster flow from breast, especially one that's already
slowly flowing due to mastitis/plugs.

Just some thoughts-hope it's of some help.  Good luck!  I've heard from other
MD's that due to schedule of residency that BF was compromised-hope this
couple can sustain it!

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY