As a twenty-something recent archaeology grad with more than two pairs of pants (B.A. from Simon Fraser University), and currently employed on a short-term government contract in archaeology, I would like to add my two cents into the "job solicitations" discussion, which has been very interesting and helpful so far.

It has been my experience that yes, e-mailed resumes are an acceptable means of applying for work.  However, I believe that a personally delivered application is the best way to express your interest in working with a prospective firm.  I know it's not always possible to do that, and I find either sending a resume and letter via snail-mail or fax the next best way.  E-mailing a resume would be least likely way, I believe, to actually find a job in archaeology.   I personally don't consider e-mailing my resume as professional as sending it through the post or by fax.  I think that a prospective employer wants to see that you put some effort towards finding out what they're all about.  Part of the whole "job hunt game" is making your application stand out from the others.  I wouldn't worry about the so-called intrusion--if the CRM firm, etc, are not interested, they'll toss it in the recycle bin.  

Additionally, spelling, grammer, presentation--they do all count, and make an impression.  I know it is a cliche, but it certainly is an employer's market out there, and there's a lot of good competition for few jobs.  It all counts.

Rena Varsakis, Victoria, BC, Canada

>From: john hyett <[log in to unmask]>
>Reply-To: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Job solicitations
>Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:31:28 -0800
>
>LOCKHART BILL wrote:
>.....
> > However, it would be interesting to know how many of us in
> > compassion category actually must deal with the onslaught of
> > unsolicited applications faced by those in a management role. It
> > could be that the opinions are divided along lines of occupational
> > role. The situation may look different if you do not have to
> > constantly deal with the problem.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > ------------------------
> > The only one who has given any figures of unsolicited applications in the debate so far was Mike Polk who has to face 'sometimes 2 or 3 a day' I opened my e-mail this morning to 38 messages from HISTARCH some of interest, some not. A quick glance at them soon told me if I wasn't interested so close them and move on. Which brings us back to the original point of the thread. Is e-mail an acceptable way to solicit work within the profession today? I still believe it to be way to go, if it is not appreciated by the recipient it is still less intrusive than any other means. Of no interest? Close it and move on or hit reply and say No Thanks
>John
> > Bill Lockhart
> > New Mexico State University
> > Alamogordo, NM
> > (505) 439-3732

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.