Marcus Maroney wrote:

>I for one do not find the hymn comic at all.  Joyous, yes...comic, not in
>the least.  I think it's more a celebration/plea to Diana.  *shrug*

I think the comic nature of the song is obvious, at least in the recordings
by Pears and Bostridge.  The unfestive pace, the coloratura in "excellent"
(like a deliberate parody), the silly repeat of the word "Goddess" (utterly
uncelebratory), the brisk and most funny "bright" at the end of each
strophe.  Well, all thinks speaks out for a deliberate comic nature of
the piece.  (at least IMHO)

Robert Peters