Steve Schwartz:

>I don't mind the concert hall as a museum.  I mind that it's an
>extremely tiny museum.

Me too, but, on the other hand, there are some small museums that don't
even have a permanent collection, and function more like galleries.
Similarly, there are a few orchestras that perform a much greater than
average diversity of repertoire, without repeating ad nauseum.

Bernard Chasan:

>Perhaps too the restricted repertory reflects a path of least
>resistance in a time of long seasons, tours, summer commitments,
>and relatively limited rehearsal time.

Lets face it.  The constraints of time, let alone energy, impose a strictly
mathematical limit on how many pieces any particular musical group can play
in a season or even over half a dozen seasons.  Fortunately, the age of
recordings shrinks space and extends time for any listener with the means
to sample or collect according to personal taste or whim.

Jim Tobin