Sorry, I hit the wrong button and sent the previous e-mail, before I had written any message :><

A mother who had eclampsia, and was critically ill for several days after her baby's birth, has asked for help in increasing her milk supply (at 9 weeks). She was on many meds, now only on labetalol. I looked in the archives and in Tom Hale's book, and found nothing about interactions between beta blockers and the usual herbals. Is there anything I should know about this combination: fenugreek and/or blessed thistle; with the labetalol?

She has been pumping for 20 minutes 6-8 times a day for 8 weeks. No one thought to help her use a pump during the first week, while she was in the ICU. (The baby was brought to her in ICU to nurse once every 12 hours.) She currently gets about 8 oz./day. She has resumed menstruating, and is very discouraged, really wants her baby to get as much human milk as possible.

I have suggested that she increase her number of pumping sessions to 8-10, with at least one during the night. I would like to know if anyone has experience working with this combination? TIA

Beth Sargent, IBCLC
Needham, MA