I do not object to DHA supplementation, if someone is deficient.  I object to
genetically engineered DHA.  Mostly I object to the dearth of information on
what foods, supplements and drugs are genetically engineered.  I would like a
labeling law so that I and my family don't have to consume those products
unwittingly.  This to me is what consumer protection is all about.  If most
people want genetic engineering, then labeling shouldn't hurt anyone's
business should it?

I am surprised that most media reports on the wonders of DHA and ARA(AA)in
infant formula, do not mention in any way that these oils are genetically
engineered.  It is why approval for these oils in the USA  has taken so long.
 The World Health Organization  recommended that these oils be added to
infant formulas because all infant formulas are deficient in providing
infants with this important fatty acids.  That companies have decided that
the only way to provide DHA and ARA is by genetic engineering is interesting.
 In fact the drive to provide an infant formula more like mother's milk by
genetic engineering, may in fact backfire on these biotech companies--driving
more women to consider breastfeeding. But maybe I'm not being realistic.
Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC