I'm not sure how the other LCs are using the gentian violet, but if you
paint the breast, the alcohol evaporates!  I don't paint babies mouths with
it because it can cause blistering even if not in alcohol.  Once the breast
is dry, baby isn't getting any alcohol, just lots of purple gv.
Warmly,
-- Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]