Vishakha Patel wrote:
>         Since I was able to find all this information, I am wondering if
> anyone out there
>  would have had this checked and what percentage of mothers in population
> do you see smoking while they breast-fed their infants. I also would like
> to know the method used to teach mothers about this type of risks. I would
> appreciate your information on this kind of a situation.

Dear Vishakha,
I have no fugures, but I do see much too many smoking pregnant and lactating
women, I'm afraid. But  re breastfeeding I'd say that breastfeeding and smoking
is better than smoking and not breastfeeding. In the latter the child will have
the negative effects of second hand smoking whitout the protection of
breastfeeding. I personally think that second hand smoking has more negative
effects (for it lasts longer) than ''smoked'' breastmilk consumption.
BTW one aspect of smoking you did not mention is the possibility of milkyield
reduction.
Re educating the mothers: there has been recently a study on the effects of
evidence-based education for pregnant women on the disicion to smoke or quit
smoking during pregnancy. Outcomes were that if educated with evidence based
facts less women continued to smoke then women who just received the standard
advice to quit smoking.

Gonneke van Veldhuizen, IBCLC, Maaseik, Belgium
http://www.users.skynet.be/eurolac