Walter Meyer wrote:

>...  Apparently the best conductors can get superb performances from
>otherwise obscure orchestras and, conversely, an orchestra of international
>reputation can fall flat from poor conducting.  Which raises a question
>for me.  The Philadelphia Orchestra, under Stokowski and under Ormandy was
>famous for its "Philadelphia sound".  Did this Philadelphia sound remain
>when Toscanini guest conducted them?

As a matter of fact it did, but their rhythm sharpened up.

Actually, most first-rank orchestras don't really need a conductor, just to
play a piece.  When Szell died, the Cleveland Orchestra gave a very moving
account of the Mozart Symphony No.  40 with nothing on the podium but a
wreath.

Steve Schwartz