From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:57:32 -0600
Bert Bailey wrote:

>Can anyone fill me in about this composer?

My knowledge of him comes from the works of his that I have collected.
(see below) Looking in Bakers...

b1931 Studied in Sydney with Goossens and in England with Lutyens and
Stein. He is also a fine pianist.

As the list below suggests,his music used to be performed more.  One of
my favorite works of his is the Organ Concerto which can be found on an
LP from Lyrita.

I don't know what happened but his music stopped being performed with any
regularity for some years and then recently his name began to appear again
and (my memory might be off on this one) but I recall seeing a 7th Symphony
for strings, which is of fairly recent vintage.

   "Heritage", Ballet
   "Perisynthion", Ballet
   Azure for String Orch.
   Concerto No.1 for Piano and Orch.
   Concerto No.2 for Piano and Strings
   Concerto No.3 for Piano and Orchestra
   Concerto for Harp and Orch.
   Concerto for Organ and Orch.
   Concerto for two Piano and Strings
   Concerto for Violin and Orch.
   Concerto Grosso for Orchestra
   Epitaphs for Edith Sitwell, version for Strgs.
   Lament for Viola and Strings
   Lucky Peter's Journey (complete opera)
   Next Year in Jerusalem for Soprano and Orch.
   Pieta for voice, oboe, bassoon and piano
   Santiago de espada-Overture
   Sinfonia Concertante for 3 Trumpets,Piano,Timpani and Strings
   Sinfonietta for Orchestra (1965)
   Symphony for Organ
   Symphony for Voices
   Symphonies Nos. 1,2,3,5,6
   The Bridge Van Gogh Painted...for Strings
   The Display for Orch.
   The Vilins of Saint-Jacques (complete opera)
   Three Choric Hymns for vocal ensemble
   Wrestling Jacks for Chorus

Karl