From:
Son Lieu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 16:24:37 +0200
I've a question about E.  W.  Korngold.  I recently bought his opera Die
Kathrin on the CPO label and I am enthralled by its beauty.  I've liked
everything by Korngold and feel that his operas should be staged more
often.  So far, I've Violanta, Der Ring des Polykrates, Die Kathrin, Die
Tote Stadt and Das Wunder der Heliane.

Have I finished getting every opera Korngold ever composed or am I
missing some unknown gems? Please help by identifying the operas I need
to complete my Korngold opera collection.  Also, I've a serious complaint
about classical labels.  Why do they discontinue issuing certain discs? I
am most upset with Philips for discontinuing Rossini's Le Comte Ory with
Gardiner conducting and Werther with Sir Colin Davis.  I am also hoping
that Supraphon will reissue Julietta by Martinu.  I've been searching
record store shelves for these operas for years with no luck.  I also want
Weinberger's Schwanda the Bagpiper.  (Fortunately, two glorious excerpts
are available in a disc with German arias with Jerusalem on Sony).  Why
do they do this? Just when I started to learn about these rare gems, the
record labels decide to discontinue making these discs.  Does anyone know
of places that will have these rare discontinued discs? Should I just
wait, hope and pray that they are simply in the process of remastering or
reissuing these as 2 for the price of one? Would it help to write to these
labels?

Son Lieu <[log in to unmask]>