BEE-L October 1998, Week 2

FUMIDIL-B does it work?

Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:31:27 -0700

Hi Beekeepers & Friends,

The rest of the story on Fumidil-B, does it work?

Yes it works, at least in this area and for me.

First I am a conservative so before I spent the money and it was and
continues to be big money on this product I got some smarts. I made many
telephone calls to the manufacture at the time and was lucky enough to hit
it off with the hands on person who actually made the stuff and was
educated more then I wanted to be on how it is made, including all the gory
details on actually process and the like. I then went to the University of
Nevada at Las Vegas crash course for USDA and State Department's of
Agriculture regulatory officers, (crashed the party), to learn how to
identify and count the buggers. Nothing special at all if you have the
better power scopes and a blood cell counting glass slide. (End of BS)

What it does for me in my location. I found the most rewarding use is in
feeding queen banks, bulk bee cell builders as it all but eliminated the
loss of queen bees in storage banks and made it possible to use the twenty
pound bulk bee cell builders several times. Before feeding the loss in
queen banks could go as high as 20% over time, and the loss of the bulk
bees used for cell builders was 100% as we only used them once and then
dumped them back in a bee yard.

So when buying queens and package bees I would demand they be treated and
the syrup in the package bee cage contain syrup with FUMIDIL-B.

As for treating hives...it would be far better to find new locations with
better conditions in most cases. In annual surveys in California it was
shown that all bees used by package and bee shippers did have nosema and I
am sure if that survey was expanded it would have shown that all bee
keepers have it. The high numbers were found after the spring brood rearing
started, so if you want low number you check early in the season. All
numbers fall off as better conditions prevail, and can rise and fall with
the cycle of the season, mostly lowers with good flight conditions and
rises with damp confinement over time.

As for passing off the bee nosema to humans it has been recorded in
unprotected water tanks that honeybees have fallen in and drown. No big
deal and should be fixed to keep the bees, birds, bats, and rats out  which
also keeps the hair and feathers from plugging up that strainer on your
kitchen sink water facet.

ttul, the OLd Drone
Los Banos, CAlifornia

Some selected archives of