From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 08:17:05 EST
Yaffa, a couple of ideas you may have already tried: Get one of the IBLCE
brochures they have now that explains why LCs should certify; how moms, babies,
health facilities benefits;  what the exam is, and eligibility requirements.
Better yet, get a bunch of them. IBLCE seems more than happy to have them spread
around and will send them for the asking. Once you have them, give one to the
"lc" as a way to wake her up to how much she may not know. Give her a form so
she can join ILCA so she will receive JHL. THAT might wake her up!

Another idea would be to make sure every health care contact you have who might
refer to you has one of these brochures. Childbirth educators who give out pump
info could be encouraged to tell their classes the importance of going to
someone who is trained in the field. Perhaps the local newspaper would like to
do a story on you and include how you got the credentials you have.

A little sneakier approach--contact the person she is subrenting the station and
point out the credibility and even liability problem with someone who is
professing to be something she isn't.  You might have luck talking with the pump
company rep for the area. The Medela reps I worked with in Atlanta were
wonderful and about the time I left they had mounted a campaign to visit every
pump station and make sure that no one was undercutting everybody else and that
adequate instruction and followup was given to the moms who rented those pumps.
(We were having a problem with some pharmacies charging ridiculously low rates
with little or no instruction so the moms would call the LCs for help.)  The
pump companies have a vested interest in seeing that their rental stations are
doing a good job!

If this is Medela pumps, why not write an article for Rental Roundup on the
importance of credentials, especially when hiring someone to do a substation.
Egnell has the Circle of Caring  along the same lines.

Good luck on a frustrating situation!

***

Debby, not that I have any thriving practice to mount up vast experience in this
area, but here's some ideas:

Get the IBLCE brochure (see above) and make sure all your contacts have that.
Mount a campaign to find a reason to see as many of those offices you can every
month. Bring them copies of interesting articles in JHL, Leaven, etc. as well as
any appropriate ones from things like JAMA or Lancet.  Sounds like part of your
problem is just the credibility factor, and these kinds of things will make
statement as to the kinds of things you keep up with. And the more they see of
your face, the more likely it is that they will remember your name when they
have someone who could use some help.

How about making a list of 30 min inservices and bring the list to the docs and
offer to do the first one free at their convenience.

Are you familiar with GETTING BUSINESS TO COME TO YOU by Paul and Sarah Edwards
(of the home business consulting fame)?  While some of this book will not apply
to an LC business, a lot of it will. All of their home business books are good.

Hope this helps, and I hope you get some good ideas. Anybody got hints for
building even a sickly practice in a rural area? (I'll have to work up to
"thriving"!)

Have a great day!

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC