From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:51:31 -0800

> >The boxes tops and bottoms can be saved if scraped and well scorched. All
> comb bees honey and wax should be burned, or double wrapped and buried in a
> sanitary landfill for urban dwellers.

The scorching only needs to be enough to brown, not char the wood surface,
and get any wax or propolis to soak into the wood.  What we use is a
paraffin hot tank at 300F (160C recommended by others), to sterilize the
boxes, bottom boards and covers, and dispose of the bees and combs as does
Paul above.

First kill the bees in the evening by plugging the entrance, lifting the
lid, and sprinkling in a half cup of lacquer thinner or ethyl acetate
(neither will contaminate the wood as would gasoline). This quickly kills
the bees.  If burning the combs, be careful with gasoline, as it can cause
an explosion that can result in the combs flying all over the landscape.

Another alternative is to perform a "shake and bake" -- shake all the bees
into a new hive with combs of foundation (no drawn comb), and then burn all
the combs of the infected hive.  Feed the new hive oxytet or tylosin in
syrup for the first two weeks after transfer.  I've done this a number of
times with great success.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA