From:
MacGyver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 90 13:18:42 EST
There is an article in today's USA Today (10/19/90) on Page 3A
regarding the current search for Africanized Bees in Texas.

Can anyone give pointers regarding beekeeping in a semi-residential
area?  I live in what techically would be called a suburb of Indianapolis
and our neighborhood consists of half-acre lots, plenty of room to
put up a hive or two.  I went to several meetings of the Indiana State
Beekeepers over the last year to start familiarizing myself and it was
like going to Farm Bureau meetings (with my grandparents) growing up.

I talked to one old-timer about it and he suggested 1) just doing it
and not really saying anything as no one would probably notice; and 2)
put the entrance near a wall or other obstacle to force more vertical
takeoffs/landings and make them less noticeable.

I have a busybody neighbor who lives about three houses down the street
and have already had to get a zoning variance to allow me to have more than
two animals (no joking).  This lady sits in her front window all day and
watches for trouble to stir up.

Any suggestons?

P.S.

No, I have not yet acquired the hive(s) and will wait until next spring,
probably.

Thanks!

How 'bout this for a bumpersticker:
   Beekeepers eat their honey!