From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"LACTNET" discussion list
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 21:06:29 -0500
Hi all.

I have a friend who has a 4 week old baby.

SHe has called me for advice...she is in constant pain during and after
feeding. She is an experienced mother of 3. Bf all. LLL Leader applicant.

She is experiencing very pink nipples. with a blister on one. Lots of pain.
Baby has a high palate.  Baby also has a yeasty diaper rash, as she put it.

She has been on nystatin ointment for 3 days...no improvement. She took
Auerbach and Riordan's book with her to her primary doctor, who immediately
went ballistic...especially when she intimated that he hadn't diagnosed
yeast properly. He hadn't treated the BABY, by the way, just the mother.
Baby has it in mouth visibly.

Mother suggested oral yeast medication...such as Difulcan.

I have had clients use this with success for yeast.

Question:  Is it possible to have yeast in ducts? Bad yeast infections do
not in mky experience, respond to topical medication.

Has anyone used Difulcan or Nizoral on yeast infections of nipple/breast?

It is my understanding that Difulcan is safer than Nizoral, and that some
NICU infants are treated with systemic antifungal medications when they get
yeast infections....The physician today stated that these two medications
were unsafe for Pregnant or bf moms.

I don' tKNOW if she has yeast, but I advised her to go to the dermatologist
that we work with who has seen Billings article in JHL, and Auerbach/Riordan
info on yeast, and who will treat a mother systemically if he feels it is
required.

Any suggestions or info or comments?

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
Williston, Vermont USA