From:
Charles Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 03:33:42 -0600
I own the LP's of the finest recording of the Brandenburgs that there is,
the 1977 premiere Original Instruments recording of the Brandenburgs in
the United States, done by the Smithsonian's Aston Magna group.  I don't
generally like original instruments that much, since hacks like Christopher
Hogwood seem to make the violins sound like bad hacksaws at a hoe down.
Pinnock is better, but no recording captures the sound of the Brandenburgs
better than this.

I have searched in vain for a CD release of this monumental recording.  I
even called the Smithsonian itself looking for the correct department to
order it, but was given the "Duh, I don't know what you're talking about"
run-around, and the "But we have this great set of 25 CD's documenting the
history of Popular Music in America and England...Are you interested?"

Needless to say, I was quite depressed.  Can anyone help me on this thorny
problem? It would be most appreciated.  Thank you...

Charles L. L. Dalmas
http://www.winternet.com/~davion