Help for LACTNET Archives

LACTNET Archives

LACTNET@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

LACTNET Home

LACTNET  August 2004, Week 3

LACTNET August 2004, Week 3

the physician is in charge- what happened update

Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:45:36 -0500

Laurie, Gail, Arly and Rachel made a lot of good points

What happened was I went to the mothers room before going to the nursery- anyway
if the baby was there I would examine there- I just sat down and asked the mom
"how did it go yesterday?  The bottles were given in the day infant was born
6:30 am so was only in the first 12 hrs- she said she gave the bottles twice
b/c she couldn't get the baby to latch on- but later in the day the baby
finally latched and she nursed her at night- so I was basically just nodding my
head and tried to encourage her that she will be able to make enough milk for
her baby and that her baby won't starve- she's going to do the "Diaper Diaries"
tonite

It happens to be that this hospital the "Mother Baby Unit" is a closed unit but
the nursery is still very far from the mothers rooms literally around the
corner and down a hallway- it seemed to me that they had a lot of babies in
there- and crying- the babies "come in" at 11 pm for bathing and weighing
etc...- then some go out some don't- how is that done differently in Baby
Friendly Hospitals?- You could wheel the scale around and weigh in the mothers
room- the "bathing" could even be done in front of the mother- it would be a
great learning experience! How antiquated is that thought process? I just
realized- its like saying- we are going to take care of your baby for you!