From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:22:16 -0500
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>As to the 9th.:
>
>When the "Going Home" theme was playing my wife even got up from her
>reading to walk over and check out the CD cover--which is virtually
>unprecedented for her!

When *my* wife heard that movement she said that the composer must have
been saying, "The new country is good; the old country is better."

>The background information in Steve's review was very helpful.  Now I'm
>eager to know: what are other great Szell recordings? And are there
>dissenters on the list?

I can't imagine your not getting a wealth of replies to this and I won't
attempt any anticipatory duplication, but I'll risk it to make sure you're
aware of the pre-WWII recording of the Dvorak Cello Concerto, played by
Casals, w/ Szell conducting the Czech Philharmonic.  The first entry of
the cello after an extended orchestral introduction is simply electric.

Walter Meyer