From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 12:29:10 -0800
Amy Chastek ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>About the most painfully, pathetic thing I've heard in the 90s was S.
>Cherkassky butchering PETROUCHKA.  I did not buy the cd so I cannot comment
>on the rest of the cd; it contains a live Berg op.1.  Did anyone of the
>naysayers hear his last disc (A.Rubinstein concerto w/Ashkenazy)? Why was
>Grammophone so high on him? Bolet? Donhoe?

I don't know the CD in question, although I have a Nimbus CD with
Cherkassky's Petroushka and couldn't disagree more about that performance.
It is not fast, which may rule it out for some, but I recently had the
misfortune to review a CD by one Fabio Bidini which included Petroushka.
Fabulous sound and he played it consdierably fgaster than SC, but there
was more colour in one bar of the SC performance than in the entire FB.

Cherkassky was a Romantic with a capital R, one of the last of the breed.
He was also exceptional in the wide range of his enthusiasms: his
repertoire stretched from Handel to Stockhausen.

And what pray is wrong with Peter Donohoe?

Deryk Barker