From:
Jo-Anne and Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:43:07 -0400
Kathy Boggs wrote,

> I too have had experience with
> Asian
> moms with very tight breast tissue, very little to no expressible
> colostrum,
> engorgement which is not relieved with nursing or pumping and then no
> milk.

Just a hunch, and probably not a helpful addition to the collective
wisdom, but are large, "tough" nipples part of the picture?
When I was drawing my poster for my LLL meeting last night, it was
really clear (maybe too clear; I drew the baby's mouth too small after
my ds coloured on the first version of a nice chubby baby) that the
nipple in the "good latch" picture is moldable. I have found that hand
expression is preferable to pumps for softening nipples and breast
tissue. The action of a pump seems to act to draw the milk out by
pulling on the nipple: it would make sense that this would be good for
inverted but not so good for large nipples. Hand expression is a useful
thing to learn anyway, so that it can be used with the baby at the
breast.
Jo-Anne