From:
Michelle DePesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 13:30:38 -0400
The use of Nazi to insult and silence "radical" people has been in use for
quite some time. It effectively slanders, and silences folks whose messages
we don't like. I have been called a "Feminazi" on many occasions. I am
completely disgusted by the use of this word and its users know it -
Nazi-ism is the most anti-life propaganda there is, some may say it is the
very worst facet of humankind. Therefore to associate someone with the label
is a way of degrading their message (degrade the messenger, degrade the
message). It also acts as a sort of curve ball because we don't know how to
act from it right away (as in, "have you stopped beating your wife?").
 I used to get silent when this was hurled at me -that was the intended
effect. We must absolutely not tolerate anyone using this suffix even
jokingly. It is also a gross insult to the millions slaughtered by the Nazi
movement and those survivors who suffered. If someone uses this term, I now
stop the conversation and do immediate consciousness raising about it before
I go on with the original subject, adding "i will not allow (myself, my
friend, my collegue) or my cause to be slandered and belittled in that way"

In elementary school there was an annoying bully called "Joey" who was
always beating up people, especially girls, and was basically out of
control. To us girls, he was everything "absolutely yicky" a boy could be.
However, when we would argue amongst ourselves, sometimes someone would say
to the other, "you are _such_ a Joey!" and thereby end the others argument.
No one wants to be a Joey.

Michelle DePesa

P.S. on an unrelated note, Jane magazine, a mag aimed at "young women"
published a survey asking if they thought the breastfeeding mom of a 5 year
old was acceptable and 83% answered NO, using comments such as "f---ing
twisted!" and "codependant"  sigh!