Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 04:25:36 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Thanks for all the information Lactnetters have shared.  I've learned a lot--not to mention a happier baby and mom.  Here is how things are going about 5 days post release:

Baby is now eating!! And NO choking at all!  He is still in early stages of self-feeding, lots of trying stuff and thoroughly mashing it with his hands, whereas before he would briefly handle food then toss it away. He seems to be enjoying putting all sorts of things in his mouth now.  He now crawls with toys in his mouth which he didn't do before.

My dd reports she doesn't feel a change in his sucking...in fact got bit tonight when baby was distracted-ow!  However, I do see a change.  Before Baby often started nursing and would pop off and my dd would be grabbing the nursing pad to staunch the bmilk flow--even at 11 months.  He was often on and off several times during a nursing and she was always frustrated with spraying milk.  What I am seeing now is that he is staying on longer and pops off only when done or someone makes an interesting noise he needs to check out.

Dd mentioned tonight that he is a happier baby which she attributed to his greater mobility (crawling better in the past couple of weeks).  However, I wonder if it just that.  Tonight he was overtired due to a short nap and he wanted to nurse--was actually going to mama and asking to nurse for comfort. Which I have never seen him do before.  Before he only asked to nurse when hungry.  Before the release he would need to be held (usually while standing) and bounced, shushed, massaged etc.  All great ways to comfort a baby BUT so much easier on mom when she can just nurse him.  Of course a tired PMSing mama only felt frustrated he wanted to nurse 'all the time'....(and so glad I am at the observing/supporting stage of life instead of the doing!).

All my observation---with limited experience in this with other babies....

Thanks again!
Michele Crockett, IBCLC, PCPA, LLLL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2