From:
Daizymom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:22:36 -0500
I hope it's okay that I post a reply. I am not a lactation professional but
I did nurse 3 children, and I try to do what  I can to support people who
want to breastfeed.  2 of my children had jaundice and the hospital really
pushed the formula, saying the liquid would help to "flush out the
bilirubin" Plus, my children were losing weight (perfectly normal, but they
didn't seem to think so!) In both cases I did give them 2-4 ounces of
formula. I am not happy that I did this, but at the time, both times it just
seeemed that if I could go along with them and get my baby home, then I
could do what I felt was best- which was to nurse on demand.  They both
nursed exclusively after that for 6 months, and continued to nurse until
they were 17 and 20 months.  My oldest son probably had jaundice worse than
either of the younger 2, but the hospital didn't detect it before we were
released. He was very sleepy for the first few days, but once he got all the
bilirubin out of his system, (with no formula) he was fine, and thrived (of
course!) on breast milk alone.

I just thought I would share, as I went through the same thing here in
Canada.

Teena