From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 08:39:44 -0700
>I have a mother with a 7 month old baby who is stressed and is having
>trouble with letdown. We have tried the usual things but nothing has been
>very successful. I was wondering about artificial oxytocin. In a past
>Lactnet someone was talking about using a vial of I.V.oxytocin diluting it
>and using an eye dropper to put it up the mothers nose. Does anyone know the
>details?                        Carolyn Lawlor-Smith LC/Dr South Australia

The IV pitocin we have here in the States is already more dilute than
Syntocinon, so we do not dilute it further.  Just use a 10 mL ampoule of
Pitocin for two doses (two feedings); each time draw half (in other words,
5 mL) up into a syringe (tuberculin syringe is the right size) and then
disperse half of that (in other words, 2.5 mL) into each nostril,
approximately 5 minutes before nursing/pumping.

Arly Helm                                       [log in to unmask]