From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:17:38 -0600
Rhoda -- This misquoting and misrepresenting and weirdness about the WHO
statement drives me nuts.  I can hear all you LactNetters saying "Yes,
Kathy, we know you're nuts.  Everything drives you nuts!"  :)

But really, why can't they just use the WHO recommendations?  What is the
big deal?  The WHO recommendations are very clear -- EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding
for the first 4-6 months, then the addition of adequate and safe
complementary foods, with breastfeeding continuing up to two years of age
and beyond.  What with this "if possible" b---sh--??  Of course it's
POSSIBLE!!!!

Human milk supports *rapid* brain growth for the first 3 years of life and
continued, but slower, brain growth until the brain has finished its growth
at 6-7 years of age!  Breast milk should still make up the majority of a
child's calories for the entire first year of life.  Solids should be added
gradually, to complement breast milk, not replace it.  NOTHING is better
nutritionally and immunologically for a growing child than breast milk.  No
solid food, and certainly not cows' milk.

Sigh.  Suggest they quote the WHO recommendations, and not imply, as their
current wording clearly *does* imply, that the WHO thinks people are able to
support babies on breast milk alone for two years and that they're reminding
people that babies have to have solids too.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

By the way -- the other day when someone mentioned the idea of older mothers
who nursed children for a long time speaking out and telling people, now
that there children are grown.  That was Rhoda's idea!

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University
Co-editor of "Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives"