From:
Rachel Klemstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:21:32 -0400
Hello all!!  I am trying to help a friend/co-worker of mine develop a milk supply
with her third baby.  I have her permission to post.

She is 31 with no significant medical history (has asthma), pregnant with her
third baby.  With her first son she reported a bad latch which required her to
pump.  After two weeks of pumping routinely, she only made a few cc's of
milk.
With her second child, a daughter, she had more success at getting the baby
to latch and suck correctly.  At one week of age the baby contracted a
respiratory infection which made it difficult for her to sustain latch.  At this
time pumping was inititated with average of 20cc's total at each pumping
session.  This did not increase with future pumping sessions.  She tried use of
herbs (more milk plus capsules) along with more pumping and worked with a
lactation consultant.  Again, she was never able to achieve anywhere close to
a full milk supply.  No labs were drawn with either baby.

I would like to do some labwork to check TSH and Prolactin.  I do not recall
however, the proper times to do this.  She is currently 19 weeks along and is
getting her routine lab work drawn next week.  Is 20 weeks an o.k. time to get
a prolactin and TSH level.  If so, when is the appropriate time to repeat the
lab draws (if abnormal).  What should I expect the prolactin level to be with
pregnancy and again post-partum.

I appreciate any guidance and help with this situation.  I am trying to be
proactive and try to correct any imbalances, ect. before baby is born to give
mom better odds at breastfeeding this child.
If hormones are stable, can anyone recommend what I should look for next or
any resources that would be helpful.

Thanks so much in advance for your time and advice,
Rachel, RN IBCLC