From:
Teresa Brockie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:13:07 -0600
My name is Teresa and I am a nursing student at the University of
North Dakota.  I have been reading with interest all of the information
on cabbage.  I had not heard of its use before and I honestly didn't
think that I would find any information regarding the treatment of breast
engorgement using cabbage leaves.
After doing some research I did find some information.  The effectiveness
of cabbage leaves has not been proven scientifically, but a lot of women
do find them soothing (Roberts, 1995; Roberts, et al 1995.; Nikodem, 1993).
My thought is that if women do find them helpful then keep using them.
For those of you who do recommend them to your patients, what are your
recommendations in terms of cold vs room temp, time...?
Teresa Brockie
UND Grand Forks, ND

        Nickodem, V., et al. (1993). Do cabbage leaves prevent breast
engorgement? A randomized, controlled study.  Birth 1993, (20), p. 60-61.
        Roberts, K., (1995). A comparison of chilled cabbage leaves and
chilled gelpacks in reducing breast engorgment. Journal of Human
Lactation, (11)1, p. 17-20.
        Roberts, K., et al. (1995). A comparison of chilled and room temperature
cabbage leaves in treating breast engorgement. Journal of Human
Lactation, (11)3, p. 191-194.