Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:54:36 EDT
Debbie pointed us to:

<< http://www.ama-assn.org/insight/h_focus/nemours/news/tmp-news/0708-5f.htm

 Just wanted to point out this very recent article on the use of
 antidepressants in breastfeeding mothers.  No mention of risk of
 depression due to weaning. >>

I presume this was a negative (as in you can't brfd while taking these)
article?  Did everyone see the article in the latest issue of Pediatrics?
It's on-line in e-Pediatrics.  (http://www.pediatrics.org)  The e11 article
is on Serum concentrations of antidepressants and benzodiazepines in nursing
infants:  a case series.  (Looks at 35 infants which is great).  I've not
read the article, and I know that reading abstracts and then quoting from
them is verboten if you are a "REAL" researcher, however.....

"74% (26 of 35) infants had serum medication concentrations below the
laboratory limit of detection.  In the remaining 26% of the sample, serum
concentrations of psychotropic medications and/or active metabolites were
detected.  In each of these cases, infants had been exposed to the medication
during pregnancy.  Medications were not detected in infant serum when mothers
had taken these agents solely during the PP period.  No readily apparent
difficulties with the infants were reported by mothers."

Now, I haven't read the full article, so I don't know WHICH meds were
involved nor at what dosages.  But this looks very hopeful.  Oh, the full URL
(I should read the end of the abstract!!) is:
http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/104/1/e11

Jan Barger, in sunny, and finally COOL Wheaton!