From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:02:08 -0400
Dear all:

A doula friend of mine alerted me to the OMISSION of crucial facts about IBCLCs in what may not have been intended, but still has all the appearances of a campaign to dismiss the long hard work that a majority of IBCLCs had to undergo to acquire and maintain their board certification.

Here is the direct quote and ENTIRE quote about IBCLCs.

"International Board Certified Lactation Consultants are people who have passed the exam developed by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, which tests MINIMUM [emphasis mine]  technical knowledge in breastfeeding and human lactation."

Omission of crucial facts and value laden adjectives can be just as misleading as making incorrect or false statements.

Source: The Lactation Counselor Certificate Training Program, 2010-2011, page 5.

I am appalled at this type of flagrant omission.

And had to laugh when I read the ALPP Code of Ethics on p.135 which states under veracity "provide to all persons truthful and accurate information with respect to the professional performance of duties"

The obvious loophole is that the ALPP didn't require  "complete" information and they didn't make it explicit that part of performing your professional duties is respecting,  working with, and appropriately describing others who may have different skills than you have.

Perhaps a miracle happened and this year's manual contains full and complete information about the number of hours of initial credits, the number of continued credits needed for recertification, and the number of practice hours we undergo.  Until such time that I read full and complete information about the IBCLC on the website, my level of respect for the professionalism of who offer that course is deeply diminished.

Sincerely,

Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC