From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:02:37 -0500

>Since I did the original research for the breastmilk out at room temperature
>for 10 hours, I would suggest that before the times are changed, that someone
>replicate it before it is considered no longer valid...However, if someone
>does do it, could you please do
it for 12 hours?

I agree with Jan. We need to refrain from changing recommendations without
new evidence. It would be up to Medela to show their evidence.

I would also like for someone to study the safety of milk at room
temperature for 12 hours or even longer. Also refrigerated milk for
extended number of days.  Also frozen/thawed milk for extended number of
days. I would like to see Rachel Brusseau's work replicated and
published.  Numbers are floating around on printed material and most of
those numbers are just guesses. The frozen/thawed aspect depends, I
believe, on how the milk was defrosted.

Many people do not consider that human milk is an alive substance and can
be handled differently from "dead" substances.

Medela could surely afford to do some of the studies that I suggest. Let's
see, would it be to their financial advantage to know the accurate safety
parameters?

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]