From:
Larry D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 22:54:30 -0800
At 08:56 PM 11/1/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I have a question for my lactnut friends.  ....  Do you advocate teaching
>the mom in the hosp to use both breasts each time if possible or do you
>teach "finish first side first, no big deal if nurses on one breast at a time"?

I teach them IN THE HOSPITAL what I want them to continue to do at home.

I do wonder though if fat content changes during the span of a feeding in
the colostrum phase.  Regardless, I try to never take an actively suckling
baby off the breast! In the first 2 days of life it seems to me they are all
too happy to just go back to sleep and won't take the 2nd side even if
removed while still active expressly to encourage just that.  Maybe a
function of the high percentage of medicated births I see.

Basically, for what it's worth - I tell moms in hospital to -
Finish the first side according to BABY cues, push really sleepy babies to
go at least 10 minutes (because here less than 10 minutes at the breast and
baby may be subjected to supplementation - neonatologist's rules, not mine),
never remove an actively suckling baby.  A  bit of a snooze after the first
side is common but try to wake the baby and do the 2nd side.  This is a good
time to change diapers, it often times wakes the baby and takes care of that
propensity to poop while eating.  Alternate starting sides, watch urines and
stools and if adequate don't worry if attempts to get baby on 2nd side are
not successful.  Keep trying to get baby on 2nd side until good weight gains
are established then let baby set own pace with this too.

This is drawn from many sources ---> trying to prevent supplementation, not
wanting to encourage oversupply, personal observations about 1 to 48 hour
old, medicated babies and their tendency to go back to sleep with any
opportunity and the expectation of at least one urine/one stool in 1st 24
hours and 2 of each in 2nd 24 hours.

Interesting question, I hope others will jump in.  Also, what are your
beliefs about fat content changing during a feed of colostrum?

-- Carla (just north of Washington, DC)