Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 23:28:47 -0500
> I was asked how Fenugreek works to increase milk supply. I don't know.  Do
> any of you Lactnetters know how any galatagogue works?  I would expect the
> pharmaceuticals stimulate hormones, but do herbal remedies do this?  And
> does sage, which decreases milk supply, affect hormones too?

Patricia,

I have gathered a little information on your question.

Fenugreek contains volatile and fixed oils, alkaloids, saponins,
flavanoids, mucilage, Vit A, B1, and C and minerals (including calcium
and iron). Precautions include:pregnancy (can stimulate contractions due
to its oxytocic activity), conditions of heat or infections.

Given that Fenugreek has an oxytocic effect, I see it helping women who
have difficultly with MER which contributes to supply problems. However,
since prolactin stimulates milk production, which galatagogues help with
prolactin?

Just more questions than answers.

Assunta Osterholt, IBCLC
http://www.earthlink.net/~oster6/ronora (WomanSpirit Retreat)